Friday, February 10, 2006

Clearcut Blogging

I have been by to visit the Quaker blogs and have been reading them, especially the ones that Martin posts. But I haven't been doing much on this blog since I decided two weeks ago to wade into political blogging.

Gasp, yes, I've become a moonlighter-blogger.

I wanted to do a sort of guerrilla blogging -- you know, drop by a variety of politically oriented blogs and give my comments, seed some new ideas, nothing too strong, just to roll the ball in a different (read: Green Party) direction. I was feeling that for change to happen (read: get our vote tally up over 5%), we have to change the agenda. And the place to do that was the political blogs. So I'm in hip-deep, wading around through the muck of Canadian politics (and rather mucky it is these days!), trying to walk cheerfully recognizing that of God in everyone.

However, to be quite honest, it's harder than I thought it would be. It's a bit of an effort going through the Blogging Tories site to find topics I can comment on gently and persuasively without getting myself flamed or torpedoed. All I can say is I'm glad these people are now allowed to own guns.

I also go to the Blogging Dippers (New Democratic Party) or Progressive Blogs Canada (basically Liberal Party, but I managed to get listed as an affiliate -- ha, successful guerrilla action). They're not so bad, but they seem content to follow the trail of dust behind the leaders, complaining constantly but never stopping to think or talk about something new, maybe a few levels deeper than what's on CBC.

Hm, how to seed ideas, how to comment gently but unoffensively, maybe with a touch of humour. It's a tricky business.

Maybe I just need to develop some psychic callouses. I find I retreat to the humorous sites, the ones who make fun of an issue with a well-placed sentence or two.

Alas, I am a lazy blog guerrilla.

Anyway, that's why I'm not here writing so much.

However, on the other hand, your ministry to me over the past few months, which has spurred some ministry of mine to my meeting, has borne some fruit. A mid-week meeting to study Quaker writings has been meeting now at my house for two weeks. There is talk of incorporating it into Sunday morning twice a month after M4W so that all attenders can deepen their spiritual learning and journeying. So thanks for your little nudges in that direction.

And it looks as if we've found a new meetinghouse option -- YAY! -- a "servage house" attached to a very old United Church downtown with a dwindling congregation. We hope to hear from them soon whether we can move in.

Okay, that's it for today. Back to Clearcut Blogging for me.

3 Comments:

At 12:03 AM, Blogger Clair Hochstetler said...

Nancy, I really enjoyed reading this, but even more so the article about sacraments that you posted a little while back. I posted my comments stimulated by those thoughts on your blog at:

http://nancysapology.blogspot.com/2006/01/quakers-and-sacraments.html#

--Clair Hochstetler

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Nancy A said...

Yes, thanks, Clair. The blog automatically forwards comments to me, so that I can find them, no matter how deeply they are buried!

AJ over at AjSwantz has also posted some questions about sacraments. She may appreciate your insights on her blog.

http://ajschwantz.com

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Liz Opp said...

Nancy, I have been spending some time considering how more Friends might minister beyond our own Quaker circle(s). Your post seems to offer one idea!

Your "guerilla blogging" reminds me of certain things that happen in Chapter 9 of Orson Scott Card's book Ender's Game, where the internet (or "nets" in the book) is used to spread certain messages that are just "dropped in" here and there.

What a neat idea. Thanks for the update about where Spirit finds you, both in the blogosphere and within your meeting community.

Blessings,
Liz, The Good Raised Up

 

Post a Comment

<< Home