Monday, June 12, 2006

The Pope Replies

Well, what was in my mailbox today but a letter from Rome. Notta bene la signatura:



The signature was on the card that accompanied the letter. The letter was really written by someone named Monsignore Gabriele Caccia, but excuse me for a minute while I kind of gloat over this.

The pope sent a letter to l'il ol' me.

Anyway, here's what he said:

His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI has received your letter and he has asked me to thank you. He appreciates the sentiments which prompted you to share your thoughts with him.

In regard to the matter you raise, I would suggest that you consult a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Article 2302-2317 (Safeguarding Peace and Avoiding War) will be of interest to you.

Trusting this information will be of help to you and assuring you of a remembrance in the Holy Father's prayers, I am

Yours sincerely,

Monsignore Gabriele Caccia

I googled this catechism document and found a summary on a very nice Catholic peace and social justice website. Article 2302-2317 includes information about respecting life, rejecting violence, addressing causes of war, morality in war, and the criteria for the ol' just war theory (which is, in my opinion, the Trojan Horse of the apocalypse).

So what's come out of this exercise in witnessing peace to other churches? Sigh - I'm not sure. But to badly paraphrase Rufus Jones, an act of love which has completely ambivalent or unquantifiable results is just as much a part of the divine life as an act of love that has measurable success. Because love is measured by its own fullness and takes its sweet time in producing results.

2 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

I knew you'd hear something, but I figured it would just be "His Holiness thanks you for your letter and extends his blessing." which is what I got (and treasured!) as a little Catholic girl writing pope fan-mail back in the day. I think it's very cool he gave you a catechism reference. (once, delirious with chicken-pox fever at age 12, I got up in the middle of the night, convinced I needed to read the whole catechism before the sun came up. I don't think I made it so far as the teachings on peace!)

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Richard said...

Cool! I am surprised you got a resonably personalized response. There have been times I have been tempted to write, but figured that either I would get no response or sternly reproached for my heretical views.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home