Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Little Mosque on the Prairie

I watched the first episode of Little Mosque on the Prairie on CBC tonight. I'd seen some of the trailers for it, and then all the hype in Toronto (giving away free shawarma and meet the actors), and it seemed kind of overstated or overdone somehow. Maybe they just chose weak snippets to show, I don't know.

But the show was pretty good. I liked the characters and the story. They sort of started out with a hard line, but they pulled it off. It was funny, and I was laughing. Woody Allen is one of Zarqa Nawaz's influences (she's the director), and I could see that in the dialog and timing.

It's definitely Saskatchewan. Kind of puts me in mind of Corner Gas. Funny how I never saw anything about Saskatchewan on TV, and now there are two regular shows about it. (How many bets that Corner Gas gets some cameo appearances from people from Little Mosque? Brent Butt will work it into one of the plots somehow, and probably very soon!)

Anyway, the show works. I think it's going to be pretty good. I'm sure it won't hurt that the cast is very good-looking and that muslim is the "new gay" in Canada, so people will watch it just to prove their not bigoted.

Some US stations are considering buying it, but I think they want to wait and make sure it's safe.

Human behaviour is funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home