Thursday, February 22, 2007

Launch

I had my clearness committee meeting last week (to discuss the programmed meeting I'm starting up -- see past posts).

Relief -- it is done.

Their questions were very good. I could tell they "got it" though they were struggling with the idea of actually doing it. One asked about my membership status. Another asked how well I could handle disappointment. I could tell that at least two of them knew that I was saying good-bye, and that was hard.

Despite my queasiness in the weeks leading up to this meeting, I wasn't uncomfortable once I was there. The four months of considering this leading and listening for the shape and direction of it seemed to sit beside me and guide me.

We were all clear in the end that it was a leading and that I should move forward on it. They suggested that once the group begins, we could consider requesting worship group status in the short term so that we can use the meetings' charitable status number for donations and expenses. Unlike most clearness committees, they will be giving a report to MM about this project so that everyone understands what's going on.

Yesterday I put the first ad in the newspaper. The website is up, and a few of my advisors have visited it. Once we have four people, we will start.

This is launch.

It's kind of scary.

8 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Blogger Robin M. said...

Holding you in the Light,

Robin M.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Robin M. said...

Holding you in the Light.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Martin Kelley said...

Hi Nancy, I'll too hold you and this new work in my prayers.

It seems like a good time too to be thankful for your sharing over the years. It's been an gift to see your evolution over the years. You've given good care to the concerns you've held--making sure the meeting had adequate space and was welcoming to newcomers, the interest in the emerging church, and now this leading to a programmed form of Quaker worship.

It's easy and all-too common for unprogrammed Friends to reject the whole idea of programming (even while being extremely programmed, but that's another post!) and your archives go a long way to explaining how this concern can grow and lead Friends in this direction. Thanks.

Your Friend, Martin the Quaker Ranter

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Liz Opp said...

We're all part of one body, whether that body is seen to be the Religious Society of Friends or the Church or the whole of the universe. If you are faithful, as it seems you are and have been, what more could any of us ask for?

I pray you feel supported and cared for, no matter where the path leads.

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Liz in the Mist said...

I would love to see the website for this, if you are willing to share. My email is liz wine at gmail dot come (spelling it out long hand for make it harder for spammers to pick up)

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Nancy A said...

Liz

The website link is on the side, in the links column.

It's a bit grandiose right now, more of a concept website that a church/mtg website. But that's all we are right now...

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Chris M. said...

Thanks for pointing out the link.

Wow! Superintendent Chalmers and Rev. Lovejoy in the SAME website? I am sooo there! It's a bit far from San Francisco, though...

Oh, you're probably going to want to play "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana, aren't you? Hm, well, that would probably be okay.

Seriously, the effort you've put into this is marvelous to behold. AND, is good doctrine (see Marshall Massey's recent post if you haven't yet).

Finally, I'm struck by the page of vocabulary. I've been using an ABCD... word list to help me get back to sleep at night (when the neighbors are loud or the children need something or my own anxiety wakes me). I would like to spend a little time with your word list, I think it's nice. It reminds me of Kathleen Norris's Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith.

-- Chris M.
(if this comes up twice, my apologies, I thought my first comment attempt disappeared)

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I look forward to hearing how your meeting goes! I haven't read all the back posts, but I'd be interested to know more about what your plans are about the "programming" aspects.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home